Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Me vs scales

All my life scales & I have had disagreements over my weight. I remember when I was a late teenager doing dragon boating & I had to get weighed. You then had your weight called out, everyone looked at me & said "you don't look like you should weigh that much!" I suppose I should have been pleased that I didn't look heavy but I was mortified.

I also remember the doctor saying my weight range for my height should be 60 - 69 kilos & never to go above 70. The only time in my adult life I have been in that range was when i was following the Atkins diet strictly & exercising about 2 hours a day, 7 days a week. I was young, single & was about to get married. The weight I got married at, the doctors would have been thrilled, but I think my body was taking a hammering. How the heck could exercising for 14 hours a week, for nothing but to loose weight be good for you. I would do it for an Olympic medal but you know I am not that good at any sports discipline to get one.

Of course married life led to more commitments & it is commitments to other people in your life that stops you exercising 14 hours a week. In reality it is unfeasable & I don't think I will ever get there again because I am just not that selfish any more.

So the scales went up & I agree with them on that point but I started arguing with them about 2 years ago. I was training for a duathlon & even after months of training the scales wouldn't budge but more clothes fitted better & I went down a dress size. The problem is of course, you end up wondering why the scales don't budge, you start getting depressed about it & then the food goes in. So of course the scales were right I did put on weight.

This year I have decided to measure myself & see what the measurements say as opposed to what the scales say just to see who is right.

I would like you all to know that this month I AM RIGHT! I have lost SOMETHING but it isn't kilos. I've lost inches. I've lost an inch from each arm, I've lost an inch from my chest & waist. I've lost 1.5 inches from my back & hips. My thighs are a bit strange, 1 thigh has lost 3 inches & the other has only lost .5 inch. But who cares I AM RIGHT, the scales are wrong. I am losing something from my body even if it is not kilograms.

This month I won! Hopefully next month the scales might admit defeat & move down & then I'll be a very happy girl. Still I'm not a bikini body yet, so don't get too excited Scott!

4 comments:

Stephani said...

Congrats! That is AWESOME!

Jenn said...

Way to go!! That is so wonderful :)

Unknown said...

I am so with you. It seems that no matter what I do, I can't loose the weight. Of course, I'm not losing inches either, so you are one-up-on-me there. Keep up the good work and don't worry about the scales.

Karen said...

Well done Katrina. Way to go!
Let's face it it's the inches that matter not the weight. It's the inches that are what you can see.