Monday, August 06, 2007

Favourite summer veggies

This is part of the blog builder challange over at www.scraptown.com

This time for you blog builder... talk about your favorite summer veggies and include pics if you have them (idea blatently stolen from Katrina's photography challenge)

It is winter here & the garden is bare, apart from some parsley, the rhubarb crown & some garlic stalks just coming up through the soil, so there won't be any recent photos of summer veges.

My favourite of all of them is the TOMATO, & yes I know that technically it is a fruit, but I just love them. I am able to buy them all year round now but to tell you the honest truth I think the best tomatoes are home grown picked off the vine on a sunny day. There is a totally different flavour to them, or maybe I should say there is a flavour to them, that is very much absent in store bought ones. I love a tomato sandwich with a little grind of salt & pepper in nice fresh bread. I've only just had breakfast but that thought just makes me hungry.

So given that a tomato is really a fruit I had better tell you about my next favourite vegetable. I am not sure you would really classify it as a summer vegetable though because it fist becomes available here, around my birthday, which is spring. It is one of the things I like to buy to celebrate my birthday. ASPARAGUS. Lovely long green stalks of crisp juciness, of course I am naughty & give it a bit of a drenching in butter, it also requires a twist of salt & pepper. Yumm! roll on October.

Now I really had better tell you about a vegetable that is a summer vege, new potatoes. You know those little round baby potatoes freshly dug up. We have them on Christmas Day for lunch. Of course I have to have butter on them but I like them with some garlic butter not just plain butter. New potatoes also have a flavour all of their own & I just could eat tons of them, just as well we don't grow them by the ton in my vege garden. The boys also scoff them down but I think part of the fun of them is the digging of them up out of the garden. It's like a game of hide & seek. Dig under the plant & see how many of these little potatoes you can find, then search through the soil again just in case you've missed one or two.

Well I'm off to buy my bag of spuds for planting out so that we can have new potatoes for Christmas day.

2 comments:

Vern said...

You are so right Katrina.
There is such a difference in taste in home grown tomatoes and the store bought variety.
Steven is allergic to Asparagus so I don't keep it around.

A tomato sandwich sounds wonderful.
They are one of my favorites too.

Lara said...

mmmm, new potatoes! reminds me to get some seeds & seed trays later this week :-) may as well get some of those veges started off!