Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Military things

Blog Prompt: Today is Memorial Day in the US but I realize that other countries don't have this or may have this but on a different day. Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in our nation's service.
How does your city celebrate this day or do you do anything special? Do you know anyone who has served in the military? If so, let us know so that we can honor all of those who serve their country.

I think that the equivalent day here in NZ is ANZAC day, April 25th. It's always April 25th no matter what day of the week it is because it commemerates the day that the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps landed at Gallipoli in WW1.

Most cities & towns in New Zealand do a dawn parade where wreaths are laid in tribute to those who have fought for their country. I have not yet been to a dawn parade but one of these years I would really like to.

I know of one man who is in the army now but some of my ancestors were in the Royal Navy. These would be great great & great great great grandfathers. My great grandfather was in the Army & had a posting to Samoa in 1915. I am very lucky to have in my possession his photographs that he had taken oven there. I have to say I am not really sure what to do with them but they still seem in good nick all these years later so maybe they are best left alone.

3 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I know what you can do with the photos! Scrap them!!! Aren't you lucky! Thanks for sharing about Anzac Day. I had heard about it but didn't know what it commemorated.

Glynis said...

Wonderful post...being a hero transcends a nation's borders and so this American is grateful that there are others in the world also willing to make those sacrifices.

Tammy said...

I'm so glad to see other countries with their military. To know that we all have something in common. I have always wondered if someone in my family served during the Civil War or other wars many years ago. I guess I will never know.