Friday, April 20, 2007

Effort Cards

At the end of term the boys came home with their effort cards. Brent has had quite a good term effort wise but it is interesting to see that his social effort dropped back. I noticed it at home but thought it was just a home thing but obviously his awful attitude got taken to school too. I was really pleased to see that the teacher noticed the effort he was putting into his maths as we had been trying very hard to fix up this area. He actually isn't bad at maths, he's already at a year 4 level but he is just middling in his class at it. Overall it seems that I was pretty bang on with what effort he was putting in over the term.


James' effort card has shown an improvement, which is wonderful. It is great to see that his effort that he is putting into his written homework are being seen, as well as his reading. We are trying to get him interested in reading but he just wasn't "into" it. Over the holidays though, by himself because we have been slack parents & haven't pushed his reading at all, he is starting to get that different letters make different sounds & is starting to guess what letter some words begin with. I am kind of hoping that by not drilling the reading into him, that he might just turn a corner & want to learn to read. As Dr Phil says "was it working for you?" The answer was a resounding no so just at the moment I'll try the softly softly approach & see what transpires after the holidays. I think Mrs Williams will have a fit for not getting him to read but I hope that after the first couple of weeks of next term we might have got further than before.

So things I need to work with the boys next term looks to be reading & letter recognition for James, maths & work presentation for Brent. Don't you love parenting when even once they are at school you still have homework & have to set goals for what you are going to concentrate on homework wise. I often wonder when will it ever stop? When will I never have to be teaching my children. All I can say is thank goodness I don't homeschool, I really don't think I am cut out to be a teacher.

No comments: