Monday, June 25, 2007

Cars

Did you have your own car as a teenager or did you have to use the family car? What kind was it? If a family car, were you responsible to pay for the gas when you used it? How often were you allowed to use it? What restrictions, if any, were on it? If your own, did you purchase it yourself or was it a gift? How much did it cost and who paid the insurance on it?

After my bad luck with learning to drive I really didn't like driving. When I was 17 I was the head sacristan at my school. It meant that I got to help out the school vicar at the school services on a Wednesday & a Sunday morning. This meant that I had to be at school by 7am so I had to either get dropped off at school or borrow my parent's car. Sometimes I got to take the car to school, but usually I got dropped off. Because I didn't use the family car that much I didn't have to pay for petrol.

When I was about 20 my parents gave me a little white Mazda Familia to drive down to Dunedin (where I was at university). I was in charge of paying for the petrol for it but I think my parents paid the insurance on it until I moved to Wellington & had a full time job. That particular car ended up in a bit of a crash on Tinakori Rd, so I was then given another white Mazda 323. We kept that Mazda until Scott & I got married & traded it on a lovely Honda Integra. It was a sports model & gee we loved that car. It could fair fly not that we drove too fast of course LOL. Only once we really did put our foot down to see how fast it could go. It was on a long straight bit after the Rimatuka's but before Martinborough.

Unfortunately once Brent was born we found out that a 2 door car is pretty impractical for lugging car seats in & out of so we traded it in on a green Mazda 323 hatchback which we still have today.

No comments: