Thursday, March 09, 2006

Monday 16 January - Skytower

We said goodbye to Robin, Phyllis, Neil, Erin & Danja & then went sightseeing. First stop was really for Scott & the boys. The Auckland City Skytower. I have the most horrible fear of heights but I wasn't going to let that stop me so we all decided to go up the tower to the viewing platform. Well what a ride to the top. I was standing in the elevator & I noticed it had clear doors, that was fine for a while as it just looked out on brick. Then all of a sudden the walls gave way to view, I just about freaked & then I looked down only to realise that the floor was clear as well. In the end I had to turn around & face the back of the elevator until we got to the viewing area.

We got out of the lift & I felt that it was spinning. Scott had the camera so he took the boys over to the edge to take some photos. There is also a section of clear glass in the floor & Scott has taken this photo. Apparently he took a bit of courage & mind control to actually step on the glass & then take the photo looking down. James was a bit hesitant to go on the glass but once he saw Scott standing on it he decided he could do it too. Brent was interesting in that for a long time he hung back with me. Then Scott came & got him & he was fine although he never did stand on the glass. Meantime I was holding on to the wall standing as close to the centre of the room as possible.

I thought I could do with a coffee so we decided to walk down one flight of stairs to the coffee lounge. We walked all around trying to find a place to sit that wasn't out by the windows. There was none because of course people come to see the view not sit with their back to it. I then read some of the more interesting facts about the tower but one thing stood out. Although there are 2 lifts both of them have clear doors & clear bottoms. What a thing to read when I am at the top thinking that I could always go down in the other lift & not have any of the views. So we got in the lift & I had to stand the whole time facing the back of it.

I have never needed a drink like I did after that trip. We decided to sit down & have lunch & a coffee at Rebo while watching other stupid people plunge off the tower.

This is one experience that is going to be marked as been there done that & never doing again. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Lara said...

that is one cool pic!

Delys said...

I remember that lift well on my first time up the sky tower...I nearly wet my pants! DH was laughing at my reaction as he knew about the lift and had me right up smack against the glass! I also dont like heights but have been back up there twice more...once to have dinner at the Orbit which was just lovely...but that elevator gets me everytime!

Anonymous said...

wow, what a way to confirm your fear of heights (yuk). I've been up there ... didn't walk on the glass or go very near it ... found something in the far distance Very Interesting and kept my eyes away from any reminders that there was only glass between me and ... wherever.

Mel said...

I am getting vertigo just looking at that photo!